[pyrnet] Pyr won't let cats eat

It was subtle at first.  The 50lb puppy would  go berserk when I fed the
cats on the counter, barking and jumping up.  He graduated to chasing
the cats  when I was giving the dogs treats.    It's gotten worse.
I taught him right away to sit patiently while I give the toy poodle the
treat first, then he gets his.  Now, if he even see's a cat 30 feet away
he goes after them.  Yesterday, growling, he caught one.  I got there
about the same time and pulled him off.  The cat was covered in saliva.
He sounds and looks deadly serious.
With an eerie look in his eyes,  he keeps looking nervously at whatever
cat is around.  He looks at me, then the cat, back and forth and back
and forth.  Each time he looks at the cat I tell him no, for all the
good it does.  He then charges the cat growling.  Where on earth is this
behaviour coming from?  The cats don't even want what he's getting and
he normally likes the cats.  He never tries to take from or snap at the
toy poodle.  Can anybody give me some insight into this?  Is this
"normal" behaviour or have I got a serious problem child?
I had a doberman before who wouldn't dream of hurting a cat or anything
else.  A cat could stick her face in her food, even raw meat, and she
learned the only thing to do was eat faster. Thank you, Inga