[pyrnet] Re:Responsibility

Judith Stroh Miller writes:

<Also what seems to be left out of this discussion is the portion from the breed standard describing the breed temperament>

"Although  the Great Pyrenees may appear reserved in the show ring, any sign of excessive shyness, nervousness, or aggression to humans is unacceptable and must be considered an exytemely serious fault **

Resently I was in the show ring with my young 17 month old male. Louis had just blown his puppy coat, he's tall and lean but very sound. We were in a class of 3 open males. The first male refused to be examined by the judge. He was very nervous and did not want the judges hands on him at all. The judges gave the dog every chance to get it together, she went as far as finding bait to get the dog to come to her. The second male showed signs of shyness as well, although not to the extreme of the first male, but was clearly very nervous.
The judging went like this, she gave winners male to the first male and reserves to the other shy male we of course came in third. I was not surprised at all. Many judges I have seen will put up shy and nervous dogs. I feel this should not be tolerated.  What does this tell breeders? Temperament does not matter? I think temperament for pyrs is  most important. Lets face it most of our puppies go to pet homes. How will families deal with shy and nervous dogs???
Send them to rescue I guess, how sad...

Kind Regards,
Sandy Dyment
Pyrview Reg'd Great Pyrenees & Shetland Sheepdogs.
Secretary: Great Pyrenees Club Of Central Ontario
http://tor-pw1.netcom.ca/~adyment/index.html