Re: [pyrnet] Leonberger?

On 15 Jul 2000, at 21:42, clhenke@juno.com wrote:
> Janice, you did mean the Pyr. is one of the older breeds and the Newf.
> came much later right?  As I understood it there were  French bringing
> their Pyrs. in, and that's why they  think they were in the foundation
> breeds.  Seems like I also read that the Landseer was the older color.  I
> don't know that we ever know for sure what went into the older breedings,
> before good records were kept, and it seems largely speculative.  Cindy

The newf is also supposed to be an older breed.  There's datings
back to 5th century AD and speculation Leif Erikson about 1000
AD had a newf-like dog aboard his boat.  And recorded early 19th
century Norwegians had newfoundland-like dogs.  The 1st record of
newfs on Newfoundland is 1732.

When the breed was brought to England where the latter day breed
developed there was a sector that started breaking off and the
Landseer breed started developing.   From what I understand there
is recordings there of great pyrenees being crossed in to develop
the Landseer which is different than the black and white newf.  And
it hasn't been that long since the Landseer ECT has been
recognized by the FCI.

The speculation though is that a black and white newf was back
behind the leonberger and not a landseer.

And I have to wonder about the books and where they get this
information.

Janice, janices@austin.rr.com
Lana & Linsey (newfs), Sonny (pyr)
http://home.austin.rr.com/janices