Re: [pyrnet] CHAT: OT:Bees & "Killer Bees" in Virginia

In a message dated 7/21/00 11:38:44 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
PyrLove214@aol.com writes:

<< n a sidebar article, it was pointed out that the population of natural bees
 in Virginia has dropped 90% over the five to ten past years, and the number
 of hives kept by beekeepers has dropped by 60 to 70% as well. They have
 given up on the war against the mites.

 If this trend does not change, we will soon see changes in our basic diet.
 You can say good-bye to things like watermelon and cucumbers, except for the
 very rich who will be able to afford cucumbers pollinated by humans with
 brushes. Of course, there will be no more honey and the quality of many
 other crops will go down.

Here in SC, we have noticed in the past couple of years fewer bees.  For the
past 2 years, our zuchini and cucs blossomed but didn't set any fruit.  From
what we were told this was probably due to the lack of bees.  Unfortunately,
we still have the carpenter bees hanging around the barn, and they certainly
don't do anything for the fruits and veg.

Robyn
dancingpyr@aol.com
Taylors, SC