Re: [pyrnet] Breeding?

----- Original Message -----
From: "jodi l gordon" <okduh@juno.com>
To: <pyrnet-l@pyrnet.org>
Sent: Tuesday, August 08, 2000 11:04 AM
Subject: [pyrnet] Breeding?

> Hi all,
> My question is when should one stop breeding their dog? At what age? I
> have a 5yo pyr and when I brought
> her home 2+ mos ago, did not realize she was in heat. Well  my male
> pyr/St. Bernard found out quick enough. Ha ha
> She is healthy and delivered 10, one died. I was thinking that she is too
> old now for this but do not know.
> She has had pups before with last owner. I know it is wise to skip a heat
> but no info when breeding should stop all together. Any info would be
> greatly appreciated.
>
> Jodi
> Franklin(pyr/st.b.) Libby(all pyr), & Gracie(german shep.)

Unless your bitch is a wonderful genetic example of the breed, you are also
a knowledgeable breeder, and you are willing to accept the ultimate
responsibility for every pup your dog produces for the life of the pups. You
should not breed your dog at all. There are hundreds, nay thousands of
wonderful purebreed pyrs put down in shelters every year. This "accident"
with your pyr mix is a prime reason why dogs who are not fit to be breeders
should be altered. All dogs not being used for responsible breeding or who
are show dogs should be altered. Having accidental puppies is nothing to be
laughing at or about. It is irresponsible. I do not mean to be harsh. It is
just that I do pyr rescue because I love the breed and believe all pyrs have
the right to a loving home. But all too many or them end up being euthanized
because of the irresponsibility of people who breed for all the wrong
reasons.
Marie and Beau