Re: [pyrnet] CHAT: Great Pyrenees in the Media

Other's on this list have far more experience with using the dogs in a
working situation.  I would definitely think I wanted more dogs to put up
against a grizzly though.  Dogs basically have to work in a pack to work
any of the really big predators away from what they are protecting.  I
think  I would be using other methods to protect my flock rather than
just expecting the poor dogs to stand against an animal of that size.
Hopefully our Pyrs. are brave dogs, not stupid ones!  The man still
probably outweighs his dogs, but I bet he isn't standing out in front of
the bear waving and yelling at him, and putting himself in harms way.  I
don't think the bears that Pyrs. originally encountered and handled were
nearly as big as a North American Grizzly, and I do not think the areas
they defended were nearly so large!  I may be wrong, this is only a
guess.  Cindy

Cindy Henke
clhenke@juno.com
Ennis, Texas