Re: [pyrnet] Death Prevention?

I had a friend write me in regards to having a death due to critters
getting in the stock water tanks.  We were both wondering if anyone on
the list, who has these tanks for their stock, has had any problems, and
maybe some suggestions.  I though that maybe with having a water float in
the tank to keep the water level up, you could have some kind  of a small
platform, and still be out of the way of the stock drinking.  Any other
suggestions from our well rounded group??  It always hurts to loose any
animal this way!  Thanks for any ideas!   Cindy  Her letter follows:

General:  Preventing drowning in stock tanks

" I had a number of fledglings and one adult bird drown in my stock
tanks.  A squirrel was rescued but only because I looked in the tank
before it was too late.  The best solution I could come up with to
prevent the drowning of both  small animals and birds was to tie a 1
inch nylon rope to the pipe corrals and/or fence and let a long enough
piece float in the water that would reach the bottom if the tank got
that low.  While not very attractive, it was the best solution to cover
both birds and small animals. Even a bird could climb up the fat rope.
Has anyone out there come up with a better solution?  This has been very
distressing.  "
Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.