[pyrnet] Size at one year

     While attempting to reorganize my e-mail services, I missed the
original letter, so I hope I am answering the correct question.  Also, I
have two suggestions.

   Suggestion one.  I am not a trained nutritionist, so use your own
judgment about my advice.  I am only repeating what I have read.  In people,
corn oil is an omega 6 oil, (recently in 1990's) considered detrimental to
health.  The omega 3 oil from fish and omega 9 oil from olives are
considered healthy essential fatty acids.  Some nutritionists, say that the
omega 6's can block the benefits of the 3's and 9's.  Thus, the vet who
recommended corn oil for the dogs diet may be a little behind in nutrition
as corn oil was thought to be great in the 1970's and 1980's.

    Suggestion two.  Your pup may not be eating enough because it has hair
balls in its stomach creating a feeling of fullness.  This could be why the
vet recommended the corn oil.  I do not know what to do about dog hair balls
or even if anyone else's dogs ever get them.

    My pyr, Jeep, the non-alpha brother, is 29 1/2 inches tall and weighs 98
pounds at two years old. He is a beautiful pyr, very graceful, with a
sensitive face, perfect ears, and almond eyes.  To my untrained eye, he
meets the AKC standards very closely. He was neutered at 10 months.

     He does not feel bony to the touch on his back or ribs.  His all time
high weight was 105 pounds from age 11 months to 15 months.  He does not
have the appetite of his alpha brother.  They have separate dishes and are
fed in their separate crates (with the doors open.)  I think (worry) about
how much smaller he is than his 135 pound brother, but I believe the dog is
OK.

    Your dog's weight may be fine also.  I think it depends on the
frame/bone structure of the dog.

Sandy White
Texas Gulf Coast