[pyrnet] Re. Pyrs as house dogs

<<Do Pyrs make good house dogs?  We have experience with German Shepards
inside - but not with Pyrenees.

If you have a Pyr inside - how often do you let him/her out?  Is it
unreasonable to have an indoor Pyr if you're a working couple and won't
be home for 10 to 12 hours during the day?  How would you handle that
situation?

Any and all opinions on this question would really be appreciated.<<

Hi Ken

Here in Denmark most pyrs are house dogs, as very few people can leave their pyrs outside when they are not at home because of barking. Puppies and young dogs can be destructive if bored, so don't leave them free all over the house but confine them to one or two rooms. This is not something special for pyrs, but the bigger the dog they more then can destroy.
As adults I find them nice house dogs, but depending on the clima they really like being outside.
I find 10 to 12 hours home alone in the house most days too much, how did you cope with the German Sheppards ?

When I work my dogs are alone in the house for 8 - 9 hours a day, but of course they are not really alone as I have 6 pyrs, so they have company. It is not ideal but it is possible.
I choose to get up very early in the morning, so the dogs can have a very good walk before I leave, as for one thing they empty themselves better than if just let out in the garden, and I find it unreasonable to expect them to sleep all night and then continue to sleep through the day. An hours walk will take the top of the energy and make them more relaxed.

Lene Nielsen
sandybear@intercity.dk
http://home.intercity.dk/~ic0795/