Re: [pyrnet] Pyrs as House dogs

<<Do Pyrs make good house dogs? >> KenMc

With attention to training, pretty much any dog can make a good housedog
IMO.

My Pyrs have access to the house and me when I am home.  They are inside at
night with me.  Most of the time during the day if I am home and the weather
is nice the door is open and they go in and out as they please, spending
part of their time inside and part of their time out.  They are fine being
just inside or just outside if I want the door closed though.  When I am
out, they are confined to several large yards (6ft chainlink) at the back of
the house (I have one acre - fully fenced to 6ft all the way round.  These
yards are inside this boundary fence, so multiple barriers to ward off
possible escapes ;-) ).  I personally don't like leaving them inside when I
am not there, particularly for long periods of time.

At night they go for a 'pit stop' ouside after their dinner (6pm usually)
and a final one about 10pm.   I find the Pyrs like to move around a lot at
night and will rarely end the night sleeping in the same place they started.
Unlike my Dalmatian who lies like a lump all night ;-).  I rarely ever hear
them move around though.

Tracy Bassett
Canberra, Australia
espinay@dynamite.com.au