Re: [pyrnet] Metabolism, Anesthesia and Food

Lori, We have four Pyrs. from a litter that are named Ranger, Kemosabi,
Silver ( as in the Lone Ranger ), and Polar Bear.  Recently we had a huge
male Pyr. dropped off on us ( if we already have four we look like we
might want another?? )  The guy was going to take him out further and
dump him if we didn't take him in.  I so admired your wonderful choice of
names, in this case imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, honest,
that I did copy your name choice.  Honestly your brain racking really was
super, and I give you loads of credit!  At any rate the Travels part that
goes with Gulliver, is well suited to the awful time this poor boy has
had in his all too young life.
I really am sorry if I upset you with this.  I wrote a letter but maybe
it didn't show up on the list?

Anyway, we had him neutered yesterday, and that brings up the point of
anesthesia on Pyrs.  When my first four were done, only Silver reacted
badly.  We had a rough time bringing her body temperature back up, and
getting her appetite back, for even longer.  It does have to do with
their slow metabolism, and the way it processes the anesthesia.  I'm sure
others on this list are better suited to the technical part.

Our Gulliver is between 10 and 12 mo. ( best guess ), is about 31 inches
already, skinny as a T-post, but weighs a whooping 97 lbs., for being
like a bean pole.  I was amazed when he hit the scales.  This boy has
potential for being a real big fella.  Anyway we have really fallen for
him, and are hoping all adjusts well to a new member of the group.  We
also have a pit-mix and a Shih-Tzu
( Su-Ling is 9 and rules the group!!)

Our two and a half year olds get about 3-4 large soup ladles of Pedigree
Kibble and two ( total for 7 dogs )moist cans of meat, mixed in to the
kibble for added flavor, once a day.  I am still having a terrible time
getting weight off Ranger.  He is about 31" and weighs in right now at
121.5.  With the heat we have had here, none of the dogs expend much
energy, and it seems difficult to deal with the weight issue.  I expect
cooler weather to help on this score.  For the size of the dogs, mine do
not consume much food.  And  young Gulliver is a terrible eater.  Our
females weigh 2 @ 100, and Silver at 101.  Kemo and PO are about 26" and
Silver is 29".

I sincerely hope you are not upset too much with me.  I've never borrowed
a name ( intentionally ) before, but I sincerely admired your choice.
I'm sorry if I upset you!
Cindy

Cindy Henke
clhenke@juno.com