Re: [pyrnet] Dwarfism

Linda,

> When you talk about the Mal Club work are you talking about a mapping
> of the gene itself and not the discovery of a marker?  I admit that I
> am not sure which they are doing (?).

I don't know which they are pursuing, but based on my own and Cathryn's
work, the progression is to first locate a marker and then you have a
*chance* to actually pull out the gene itself.  To go in the opposite
order usually requires a combination of luck and, more importantly,
that there is a gene from the same family in the same or another
species already cloned.

As for accuracy of a marker test - it would certainly be less accurate
than a physical identification of the faulty gene itself in a suspected
animal.  Marker-to-disease correlation can be a nice tool, but if you
have ever worked with a genetic marker you know that they are usually
far from perfect...

Patric

=====
"Sage Advice Improves with Thyme"