Re: [pyrnet] Consider breeding carriers (a proposal)

In a message dated 9/21/00 1:23:36 PM Eastern Standard Time,
pyrsrgr8@yahoo.com writes:

<< I'm really not sure it is best to "throw out the dwarf carrier with the
 bathwater"...  If we categorically stopped breeding any dog that
 has the possibility of being a carrier I bet we would end up with a
 short list of Pyrs indeed (and suffer the consequences of an
 intellectually-induced genetic bottle-neck for the breed). >>

The other point that is obvious to me is valid information about actually who
are the carriers.  I grew up in the 40's and 50's and this subject reminds me
about how a 13 year old boy learned about sex.  All gossip, rumor, and
fantasy.  You think that many breeders will publicly post or allow to be
posted those dogs of theirs that they have used or continue to use who are
carriers?  So how does one make good decisions?  Pretty bad situation for
those who want to do the best they can.

I am sure some will hate me for saying this (so what else is new), but we may
not be able to really deal with this problem because of the human factor as
long as it is in the hands of breeders.  This almost needs the cold
calculation of a detached scientist who only wants data and information.

Fat chance, right?

Joe