[pyrnet] Re: Peeing, Pooing, and Chewing!

Good day everyone,  this is in reference to:

> Well, I hate to bring bad news to everyone but I have a 2 year old female
> that still chews,and no she isn't missing anything in her diet! .

Bear (11 months and 90lbs.) is getting all that he needs in his diet and he
is still chewing at the moldings on the walls from time to time.  In fact,
Todd went to Gleem today and bought about $250 worth of paint so we can
repaint the downstairs.  Lots of holes to be puttied up and painted, too.
All thanks to BEAR!!!   (We had to paint the house nearly every year when
our two girls realized that crayons made pretty colors on the walls, stairs,
windows...you get the picture...we had to keep them so Bear gets to stay,
too.)

When we first got Bear, he chewed our old dining table to the point that we
had to get a new one.  Now when he is caught chewing on anything that
doesn't belong to him he is crated for a while and told no chewing.  I think
that has helped.  He's not chewing nearly as much, nearly as often.

Since we started crate training with him he has only made a few messes in
his kennel.  Knowing that he was going to be a huge dog, we bought the
biggest crate we could find right from the start.  They only make one that's
bigger that could go in his 12 X 12 room and they never have one in stock.
I'm going to have to get them to order the thing I guess.

As far as the pooing, he will usually bark really loud and furiously when he
needs to be let out but there are times when we think he barking because he
hears something and we don't walk him.  We will open the door and tell him
that there's nothing or no one out there and he will back away from the
door.  Thus leaving me to think that he was barking at the wind again.  He
barks quite a lot.  Especially at night if the volume on the TV isn't up
loud enough to keep him from hearing every little noise outside.

He had been difficult to train before we got the crate but he does a lot
better now.  Have you tried putting the crate in the room with the family?
That way he's in "his/her own bed" but not separated from the family?  You
know, like he/she's not in time out?  I'm not a trainer or anything but
someone told me to do that if we had problems.  Worth a shot I thought but
we didn't have to do it.

Good luck and keep him/her as clean as possible.  I've seen a white dog get
stained from the urine in the crate always being on the fur.  Not a pretty
sight.

Bridget
kaiser4@gulftel.com