Re: [pyrnet] spaying after the first heat

In a message dated 9/27/00 10:16:09 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
clhenke@juno.com writes:

<< Sure isn't really being
 based on risk factors.  And that takes us back to why we even do it as
 often as we do? >>
When you talk about "risk factors" what type of risk are you talking about?
Here in the southeast, there is a HIGH risk of rabies.  Our dogs and outdoor
cats are given an annual rabies shot, as are my horses.  So far, we haven't
had any problem with them reacting to the innoculation.  The high rabies rate
around here is generally due to wild animals, such as raccoon, that are major
carriers of the disease.  I personally believe that we could easily get by
with giving the shots once every 3 years, but how many people would remember
to give it every 3 years?  Here in South Carolina, it's hard enough to get
people to vaccinate their animals once a year.  Expecting them to remember to
do it once every three years, I'm afraid would be much too much to expect of
them.

Robyn
dancingpyr@aol.com
Taylors, SC