Re: [pyrnet] Dwarfism

In a message dated 09/29/2000 12:24:25 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
JGentzel@aol.com writes:

> There is going to be many, many, many, many, many, many more
> carriers that dwarfs.  God would be good to us if what you were
> saying would work out that way, but it will not.

Yes, there will be more carriers than affecteds.  That is a given with any
genetic defect, but if we are dealing with a simple recessive, the fact that
very few (or no) affecteds will be bred is at least limiting the number of
defective alleles that any given (suspect) parent can transmit to their
offspring by half.  In other words, in a statistical balance, *at least* as
many normal alleles (undoubtedly many more) will be contributed to the
population as defective ones. Something to consider, which may not be true
with regard to other genetic defects we also need to put some focus on.

Kelley Hoffman
kshoffman@aol.com