Re: [pyrnet] GPCA -- and dwarfs

I just came across the following that is very germane to the prior discussion
of Dwarfism in Pyrs.

<<This article is a collection of information presented at seminars by Dr.
George A. Padgett, DVM. Dr. Padgett is a veterinary
pathologist at Michigan State University with special interest in canine
genetics and what role breed clubs play in the control of
the genetic diseases in their particular breed. He cites the need for open
record keeping which will report all evaluations
(abnormal as well as normal) as being essential to health improvement in a
colony of dogs or a breed as a whole. Dr. Padgett
was one of the founders of the GDC which is this kind of registry.

Disagreeableness of Genetic Traits:

Severe Traits

     Disorders that disfigure, maim or otherwise render an animal
nonfunctional (i.e. cataracts, retinal dysplasia and
     detachment, chondrodystrophy).

Expectation when using a known carrier for breeding:

   1.In any scheme used to control genetic diseases in dogs one produces an
equal number of carriers whether a test mating
     or a dilutional system is used.
   2.In the process of detecting carriers in the general population of dogs
using a random mating system, large numbers of
     carriers are produced.
   3.The effect of outcrossing is to hide a gene, not to eliminate it.

We need to quit whispering about defects, and gossiping about defects, and
instead set up a sound program that allows
          the standard selection procedures to go on so that we breed good
dogs and avoid major defects.

-- Dr. George A. Padgett, DVM >>

I cut the article down considerably for the sake of the list, but what I cut
out does not change or modify what I left above.  First, the  condition
Chondrodystrophy, is this not a term for Dwarfism we see in Pyrs?

Joe