Re: [pyrnet] GPCA -- and dwarfs

In a message dated 10/11/2000 5:26:36 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
JGentzel@aol.com writes:

> What could be more persuasive than the "threat" of disfigured, maimed
> dogs that are classified as nonfunctional in any Dwarf litter in the future?
> Quibble as we might, the facts are that not only limb but spinal deformities
> accompany the syndrome.

Joe,

I must have missed some published research or documented findings on dwarfism
in Great Pyrenees.  When and where were debilitating spinal deformities
documented in dwarf Great Pyrenees and in how many cases out of the total
diagnosed Great Pyrenees dwarfs?  What exactly were the spinal deformities
and how exactly was it determined it was part of a syndrome?  I don't recall
mention in the GPCA dwarf health survey results of any spinal deformities.
Could you expand please and provide some references or citations specific to
dwarfism in Great Pyrenees?  I'm having a difficult time reconciling what you
are presenting with what I have heard in several discussions with people who
live with these dogs and what I have seen with my own eyes.  I would be most
interested in reviewing this evidence.

Thanks,

Kelley Hoffman
kshoffman@aol.com