Re: [pyrnet] GPCA -- and dwarfs

In a message dated 10/13/2000 12:30:21 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
JGentzel@aol.com writes:

> In a message dated 10/13/00 10:51:31 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
>  Kshoffman@aol.com writes:
>
>  << On the subject of breeding carriers, Dr. Jerrold Bell did an
>  interesting interview in a recent GDC newsletter addressing the merit
>  behind the potential use of carriers in a breed population over a period
>  of time in an effort to retain beneficial genetic material while slowly
>  attempting to lower allelic frequencies for defects.  O >>
>
>  He is using carriers to identify carriers so they can be eliminated.
>  Leaving the clear dogs in the gene pool.  Right?  Who can have a
>  problem with that?  Is that so different from DR Padgett advocates?

I'll post the interview from the GDC Newsletter later this evening or
tomorrow, or perhaps not until Sunday and each person can decide for
themselves what he is recommending and/or advocating.  I have snippets of it
typed in from the hard copy, but I don't have the whole article typed in, and
I'd prefer to post it in it's entirety. I suspect what he may or may not be
implying with his words is open to interpretation and debate, as most things
are. ;-)

Kelley