Re: [pyrnet] A debarked Pyr

Hi everyone-
    I have two debarked Pyr's. They are sisters and were actually in a
shelter together when I found them. They were 18 months old and their necks
were still not even healed from the surgery. Their former owners lived in a
covenant community and tried "everything" to keep them before complaints, and
I guess a lawsuit, made them turn them into a shelter.
    Of course the owners could have done better than dumping these two
beautiful purebreds in a shelter, but anyway, I found them and they have a
good home now. Belle can bark a little, but Zuni prances around the yard all
day "boofing" as we call it, and does not make a sound. We have learned to
appreciate it a little because they do spend a lot of time doing this. It
would probably make us crazy if they really could bark! We would never have
done it to them ourselves, but it is kind of convenient for us.
    They also don't seem to realize that there is a problem. The only issue
we ever had about it was when Zuni had some surgery done and the doctor's ran
into some scar tissue in her throat when intibating her. So, I can just say
that at least for these two, being debarked was not the worst of their
troubles. Though you have to be careful with a debarked dog. Because Zuni can
make no sounds at all, no one can hear if she is growling either. She has
seemingly attacked unprovoked before because she is the alpha female, when
really she had been growling for some time and no one knew it.

-Emily Martorano
Castle Rock, CO
D3melza@aol.com