Re: [pyrnet] Wolf/Pyr meeting

<<As we looked out last night, our neighbor came down from the road where he had been driving, looking for the wolf, and grabbed for its collar.  Only then did the wolf become aggressive, and began to slather and try to climb the fence after our dogs.........  I don't know what to make of the behavior of the wolf.......  Should I be worried that it might jump into our yard sometime after the dogs>> Gerry

A classic reaction to being backed up by a fellow 'pack member'.  When on its own, the wolf was not willing to commit to an 'argument' (most canines are actually quite peaceloving if left to their own devices.  Rarely do they actually fight without good reason or unless the odds are in their favour) and was happy to warily investigate.  Once its 'pack member' (owner) joined it and 'reinforced' its position (giving it security by leaning faorward and grabbing the collar - did the owner 'growl at the wolf too? The wolf may have seen this as aggresive support against the other dog) it felt 'strong' enough for a confrontation.

I doubt the wolf would try to get into the enclosure with your dogs when on its own (its self preservation instincts probably wouldn't let it).  When it saw you last time too it was on its own and 'vulnerable' against your 'pack'.

Note that this type of reaction can be found in dogs too.  One of the reasons it is recommended that you don't tighten the lead and don't lean forward and 'growl' at your dog when approaching another dog if you are afraid your dog will do something.  This will often only make the situation worse.  Keeping the lead loose and stepping back away from your dog while calling it happily to turn back towards you and look at you instead of the other dog is a much better technique to put into practice.

Tracy Bassett
Canberra, Australia
espinay@dynamite.com.au
visit my webpage at http://members.dynamite.com.au/espinay/index.htm