Re: [pyrnet] choosing a show puppy

> Isnt it basically true you wont be totally able to tell if a puppy is show
> quality until it is a little older?

Stepping off the lurker chair, I just wanted to chime in here to voice my
opinion on being able to tell if a puppy will be "show" quality.  I have
only been around Great Pyrenees 22 years, my whole life, so I am no expert,
but I have seen many experienced breeders choose their puppies.  Being able
to tell how "nice" a puppy will turn out as an adult is definitely a gift.

All puppies are cute to me and I adore every one of them, but when I look at
a 4 week old puppy I honestly cannot picture that dog/bitch as a 2 year old.
I admire my mother for the fact that at two days old she knows which puppy
she wants to keep, if movement, bite, shape of the eyes when they open, are
what she expects.  I've asked her because I cannot understand how she does
it.  She says she picks from the shape of the head and the shape of the
body.  Even though she's explained it, I still don't see it and I'm just
hoping through experience and breeding I'll inherit the same gift ;-)  Also
knowing your lines help you know what to expect from movement, shape of
eyes, bite, etc..  I've seen that she is always right because the puppy that
she picks at two days is the best puppy at eight weeks.

Back to your question:  If you go to an honest, ethical breeder they will be
the one to tell you if your puppy is show quality or not--you have to rely
on that person's opinion and knowledge.