RE: [pyrnet] CHAT: Tracing the Background of My New Pyr

Hi Claire,

This pyr-mama joined the list recently for much the same reason - in the hope that someone could help me find where my wonderful girl originated - so I understand completely.

I also have the minute advantage of being a police officer's wife <s>.  Hope this information helps:

1.  Find out the name of the original shelter in Idaho and contact them.  If that information was included when she went to another shelter, then *someone* at that shelter was curious and folowing the details.

2.  Consider asking them where Apollo went - not only because the two dogs may be bonded, and keeping in touch with him and being able to visit occasionally might be nice for Athena, but because his new family might be curious as well.  I caution you not to mention the circumstances of the dogs' availability to them - let them tell you, if they know, or don't vounteer it - some people get the creeps from stuff like that, and you wouldn't want to endanger his new home...

3.  Contact the Idaho State Police.  Tell them what's up - that you have adopted a dog, and that you would like to know who the original owners were (you needn't cite "morbid curiosity" <s>.  a simple "I need the info in order to track down and change their AKC registration" would suffice).  The State Police are often involved in murder investigations in rural areas and may know of it.  A double-murder would stick in their minds more than a "Standard" one.  The State Police are more likely to have a statewide crime register/statistics, and will, as with all departments, have an NCIC operator or two (National Crime Information Center is the FBI-based national system into which your missing children and stolen cars are reported, among other things <s>).

4.  Are you a friend of your local library?  A research librarian can be your best friend in a search like this.  Better still, if you can get a research librarian in Boise on the trail - where she will be more likely to have major and minor Idaho newspapers in her archives.

Best of luck to you.  And congratulations to Athena, who seems to have gone from one caring home to another.

Diana & Calysto (who thinks that names adapted from Greek Mytholoy are *very* cool <g>)

FREE Personalized Email at Mail.com