RE: [pyrnet] TRAINING: anticipating the correction

[Re: the poison-proofing]
While I do see value in this, particularly in this case when they
felt they were at a higher risk of being a target, keep in mind that
there can be a down side if someday you are not the caretaker of your dog.
(Sorry if I am bringing up an old, thoroughly discussed topic.)

We are guessing the pyr we adopted about 3 weeks ago was taught this.
She shows signs of great stress if we hold a treat out to her.  She pants,
looks around to try to get away, and won't touch it.  It's hard to explain
why, but it definitely looks like it clicks in her mind - NOT ALLOWED.
She does not really look afraid, as if she had been abused.  Just stressed,
like "I am not supposed to do this".  This has made it almost impossible
to train her.  She also hardly eats and is pretty underweight.  Yes,
we have made sure there is no medical problem (at least not that two vets
could find).  Also I know it can take a while for a new dog to settle.
But with her regular food, she will eat a little if she does not see me
set it down.  If I set it down in front of her, she has the same stress
reaction and slinks away eyeing me suspiciously without touching it.
Other than the treat/food aversion, she is a sweet, playful girl and loves
pets and affection from us.  She likes walks and is very well behaved
with humans and other canines.

Any suggestions, by the way, except to be patient and wait it out?
The class we signed up for uses clicker training, which is very
treat-based.  We sort of laughed because the first thing they wanted
us to teach her was not to take a treat (unless we said ok).  She was
excellent at not taking a treat.  :-)
Thanks,
Caren (and Kea)