Re: [pyrnet] Recessives and carriers

In a message dated 12/22/00 12:14:27 PM Eastern Standard Time,
JGentzel@aol.com writes:

I agree. I purchased a dog several years ago who had a sire I adored.  I
eliminated this dog form my breeding program once I was told there were at
least two littermates with dysplasia and my dog x-rayed OFA-Good.

Joe

Thanks Joe, you made my day!     It is the responsibility of breeders to
investigate not only the parents but the littermates.   I know this
information is not always available but maybe we should all be more
persistent in finding out.   I x-rayed my pet bitch and she OFA'd Good.   I
past this info off to her breeder (who was extremely appreciative) I felt she
needed to know what my girl's hips results were as she kept two littermates
for her breeding program.   I also wanted to know so that I could prepare for
any exercise changes or diet changes that she might need if she had HD.

Take care and thanks again!
Dianne Migas - Jersey Shore
Steel Moment Great Pyrenees