Re: [pyrnet] Deliberate Breeding for Dwarfs

Once again, I'll reiterate, if someone wants to deliberately breed dwarfs, there are certainly enough carriers out there to be able to do so. Other than for the purposes of scientific study, or for the purpose of test breeding to clear a potential carrier, I would consider this extremely irresponsible, to say the least. We all know that there are an awful lot of irresponsible breeders out there, and a dog winning an award or not will not affect them one way or the other. Nor will it affect anything they want to do. I'm sorry Joe, but, I do not necessarily take what is reported in the Vet Journals as absolute fact, either. I have seen enough "truths" re scientific study disproved over the years. One of the more recent studies that have disproved supposed "scientific fact" is the Purdue Bloat Study, and don't even get me started on canine nutrition!! <vbg> I have personally known of 5 or 6 dwarfs, most of which I have met. Patellas seemed OK in them (when manipulated) and I've seen a LOT more "normal" Pyrs with this problem (but then, the fact that there are more "normal" Pyrs out there than there are Dwarfs account for this, of course) AND the bloodlines of these Dwarfs that have PL are the same bloodlines that produce PL fairly frequently in the "normal" dogs. As a matter of fact, this sort of has me wondering if perhaps the two orthopedic problems are not somehow connected. <sigh> Lot's of questions, but very few answers.  I wonder if these questions will be answered in my lifetime. I sure hope so! It seems that the more we learn, the more questions are raised from that knowledge. I will, of course, ask my Vet to get me a copy of the article, as I would very much like to read it. And, as far as the debate of the subject of awards, if I can get my research done, I will be making my opinion known on this point. Unfortunately, this is a very busy time of year for me and I have a LOT of research to do before I write my letter.

Barb Bowes
Bo & Chelsea (Pyrs), Flopsy (Pyr Shep) & Machin (Doxie)
bamb@monmouth.com