Re: [pyrnet] New Puppy (was Rescue Me- poem)

In a message dated 12/30/2000 2:24:56 PM Eastern Standard Time,
clhenke@juno.com writes:

<< Plus dogs learn a lot from each other and some of the problems we see
 later on in life is due to being removed from their Mom and siblings too
 soon. >>

I would highly recommend buying the book "The Art of Raising a Puppy" by The
Monks of New Skete. There is a lot of information on the stages a puppy goes
through and good tips on training. It does focus German Shepards as that is
the breed they specialize in, but it is fairly generic. If you go to a book
store and browse through their selection, make sure you look through the book
carefully. I bought a couple that were just pages of ads for specific dog
products. I would also recommend "The New Great Pyrenees" by Paul Strang. It
is very informative about the breed and it's history.

A couple things I found helpful with my pup...
    * used a crate this time
    * when letting him out first thing in the morning, I carried him from the
crate to the outdoors - cuts down on little mistakes
    * take him outside as soon as done eating
    * watch him like a hawk when potty training
    * don't let him do anything you don't want a 130lb dog doing - that
includes mouthing your hand, shoes, slippers - that also includes getting up
on furniture
    * cuddle him at every opportunity - there is nothing better holding your
new pup and watching him fall asleep
    * buy lots of chewies - not too big - nothing that squecks (ok I have no
idea how to spell that - must be time to go to bed) unless you are watching
him
    * obedience training

Good luck with your new pup
Elaine and Pico