RE: [pyrnet] Fw: ear infection

> > My Shadow has an ear infection and I have to put the ear wash in his ear
> and
> > then go in and wipe out the inner ear out.My problem is I'm afraid of
> > hurting him I'm very squeamish in this area having suffered very bad
> > infection throughout my life. If any one knows of another way I might be
> > able to get the inner ear clean without using a cotton swab or my
fingers
> > sure would appreciate it.Thank You
> >                                           Peggy,Shadow&Noel

Peggy, my vet doesn't like the idea of sticking stuff, like cotton swabs or
fingers, in their ears either.  He feels this tends to pack the gunk into
the ear more than releasing it.  What he has recommended (and shown us how
to do) is put a small squirt of ear cleaner in the ear, and while holding
the flap of the ear away from the head, massage the area at the base of the
ear.  You'll hear a squishy sound.  Then tip more ear cleaner into the ear
-- let it run into the ear (don't squeese it vigerously, as you can build
up too much pressure and hurt the ear) to the point of even running out.
Again, while holding the ear flap, massage the base of the ear again.
Then, STAND BACK, and let the dog shake his head to get all the cleaner and
gunk out.

We've been using this technique with our guys for approximately 6 months
now, and have seen definite improvements in the ear cleaning area.

--- Robyn Allwright
--- ziffanyrobyn@earthlink.net
--- Ziffany Great Pyrenees