Re: [pyrnet] GSDs and Europe (was LGD breeders)

On 30 Jan 01, at 13:18, darrell goolsbee wrote:

> This brings up a pet peeve of mine regarding law enforcement agencies,
> which have developed the mind-set that unless they spend $5,000 for a GSD
> or Belgian Malinois from Europe, it has no value as a police dog.
>
> I definitely agree with most of what has been said about AKC GSDs in
> this country and understand why police felt they had to go elsewhere for
> functional dogs.
>
> But there are now quite a number of GSD breeders in the U.S. who are
> working from European stock. And there are other breeds that could very
> successfully do police work (Bouviers, Giant Schnauzers, Dobermans, etc.).
> But once locked in, that mind-set is not easy to change.

I have a friend who trains protection dogs and what they are seeing
now are brokers selling the general public supposedly ' protection
trained dogs' from Europe. At least this is what the buyers have been
told.  These dogs are not cheap and we have seen several GSD's that
have  poor temperament and appear to have no real protection
training.  So it seems the gullible public is getting scalped!  A
great way for Europe to get rid of their culls and dishonest US
Brokers to make a fast buck. If in fact this is the case.  Many of
these dogs do not respond to German commands, the language of choice
when training dogs in protection work.

Judith
jsmiller@newmex.com
Taos, New Mexico