Re: [pyrnet] LGD breeders

Terry, first off I do not consider myself qualified to determine
Dalmatian coat patters, either genetically speaking, or from personal
observation.  I'm sure there may be others that would discus the genetic
aspect of spot patterns with you, beyond what we know happens in
deafness.  It is not a breed that I routinely go and stand at ring side
and note what patterns are being put up in comparison to the quality of
the dogs in general. I do not know if that is what is really happening in
the Dalmatian ring at all.   Secondly, I do not even know that it would
hold true in different areas of the country.  The judges can only put up
what is available to them in each area, and there is differences
throughout the country.  And No I do not consider this to be a good
thing.  But it is the people breeding in each area rather than the judges
themselves.  The differences are subtle, but if one pays attention to
certain breeds, and travels to different areas, it can be noticed.

As I have said, I do not care for all of the practices within the AKC,
however you seem to blame AKC for everything, and not the people breeding
within a area.  Everyone who shows a dog is not going to necessarily
breed, nor may they end up being good caretakers of the breed.  Those are
the ones who often introduce the subtle changes, and often they are in
and out of a breed in a short time.

The other thing is that judging a dog by it's standard is an imperfect
procedure, since beauty is in the eye of the beholder, even against the
blueprint for each breed, judges will see them differently.  That is why
it takes more than one judge to complete the process of a Championship.
And I think we would probably be better with tougher standards.

We can affect some things quicker than others, thus it is easy to mess up
the physical attributes fairly early on, if someone doesn't care.  The
luckiest dogs in the purebred world are probably the lowest on the list
of popularity, since the general public can't make enough money off of
them to make them desirable.  The minute the public latches on, it is
downhill.  Take the little Brussels G., so many people didn't even know
about it till it hit the movies.  I don't know where this conversation is
even going anymore, with the exception of your dislike of the AKC, and
your support of BYB's and Ranchers cash cropping Pyrs. and pronouncing
themselves as producing only the real working dog?   Cindy

Cindy Henke
clhenke@juno.com
Ennis, Texas

in the dog."  ~ Franz Kafka