Re: Re(2): [pyrnet] ANOTHER Pyr jumping fence

well, sheiba did bark more than my others.  she would sometimes just sit and
bark continuously for what seemed hours.....even when i was a home.  she is
a major guardian, though, and lets anything and anybody know that she will
hurt them if necessary.....and at the same time she is the dog you would
want to take care of your child. she's not aggressive when it's not
appropriate, but she can nail a person on whether they are good or evil.
i'm always amazed at her incredible will to guard and die for me, and her
soft, sweet, gentle, loving personality at the same time.  i think she has
so much love for me that her goal in life is to love and protect me, and
nothing else.  perhaps that's how yours feels.  sheiba is not a barker like
that anymore, but she's about 3 yrs older - about 2 years older when it
started slowing down.  unless something is really going on to disturb her
(like something going on down the road such as a nonstop bark) it's seldom
that she does it.  i think she finally realized through a lot of love and
training that she doesn't have to worry so much.....she just plain 'ole
worried alot.  does yours do this?  you can see it in their eyes.  it's a
fear, not OF things, but a fear that you won't be around and/or he won't be
able to take care of you.  it's kind of sad, really, that they feel that
way.  another dog may very well help.  i don't remember if you said they
were accustomed to each other or not, but if not, then (as i'm sure you
know) be slow and careful with that.  sheiba is the one i have to worry
about when bringing in other animals....she's the alpha dog and is sure to
let the others know.  not sure if yours does that, but that could be a
relating factor to the excess barking, too -  i'm not sure ("i'm the king
and i'll kick your fanny if you even THINK about coming to hurt my
family!").  i thought about it since my others don't bark as much (but they,
of course, still do bark like a pyr will :-) )  maybe that's why he's such a
jumper....to get the "bad" thing that's near his territory and family.  mine
would be after something when he wanted to jump......just a thought.

there are two things that your vet can give you if you'd like and he agrees.
one is "clom-o-calm" and the other is a prescription drug from the
pharmacy - amitriptyline.  it just takes the edge off.  or, if you're
willing to try some homeopathy, there are some natural things you can try.
i have a wonderful book  called "veterinarian's guide to natural remedies
for dogs" by Martin Zucker.  it's a great book.  or, you can try a website
called WWW.ALTVETMED.COM .  they have a lot of things on there that may
help. and, i'm sure you can find lots online about separation anxiety.  my
book has that info in it, as well, and i'm sure your vet has some literature
on it.  i'm not sure that another dog will cure the barking, but perhaps it
will give him something else to focus on for a while and put some fun into
his day.

when you do get him to a point where he is less anxious then you may be able
to put him back into the regular fence....i say "may".  the training is an
important part.  if you can't find anything that describes a training
pattern, let me know &  i'll call my vet and get some for you, and i can
email, fax, or mail it to you.  it's a process and takes some time, but it
does help, and in my opinion is worth it.

i know i rambled on for a while, and i'm sorry....i'm good at flapping my
jaws! lol!!  if there is anything else that i might be able to help with, be
sure to let me know.  good luck with everything!!  give him a big hug for
me.  if you don't have a dog and are looking for perhaps another pyr, be
sure to let me know.  i'm on a rescue and i'm sure i could find one for you.

take care!  alli :-)