[pyrnet] assistance for Seamus

Hi Susan-
It sounds as if Seamus is on the road to recovery, but I thought I'd share a
strategy that worked for me years ago when I had a similar issue. Slater was
a big girl (half Pyr actually) who was severely dysplastic. She did quite
well with her condition for most of her life. If she had a particularly
active day she would be stiff and achy at night, but otherwise you'd never
really know she had such bad hips. As an aside to someone on the list who
asked about dysplasia a week or two ago - she actually got stronger as she
matured. My vet had told me that often the body compensates for the bad hip
joint by building up soft tissue around it (ligaments, muscle - it's been too
long - I don't remember the details) and by age 3 a dysplastic puppy may
actually have improved in terms of visible symptoms. That was definitely the
case with Slater.

Anyway, back to Seamus. When Slater was about 11 years old she began having
difficulty getting to her feet from a lying down position, difficulty with
stairs, etc. Overall, though she was her same old self though. I made a
special belt with handles for her that we used to help her stand up, help her
up the stairs, and help her if she stumbled when on a walk. For the last year
of her life she wore it all the time except at night. The belt was simple to
make - I started with upholstery webbing that was about 4 inches wide. It's
very strong. I then covered it with cotton (is it called batting?) like you
would put in a quilt. I made a cover for this that was just a cotton sleeve.
I put velcro on the ends so it would go on and off easily. Finally I put loop
handles on each end with nylon webbing like a dog leash. When wearing it, the
belt looked like a loose cummerbund. It worked wonderfully and Slater lived
to be twelve and a half years old. My vet was so impressed with the success
of the devise that he has since recommended it to other dog owners in similar
situations. The only question in my mind is whether the same arrangement
would work with a male dog. You might have to use it in the house only, but
forgo it on walks.

Sorry to go on and on, but I thought someone might find a use for Slater's
"belt." My husband used to joke that - to protect Slater's dignity - he was
going to get a red-tipped cane so that when he and Slater went for a walk
people would think she was a guide dog.

Sending best wished for Seamus' recovery.

Lyn and Bridger

P.S. I love in Rhode Island and have had occasion to take my animals to
Angell Memorial on three occasions. It is an outstanding facility. It's a
veterinary teaching hospital which operates under the umbrella of the Mass.
SPCA.