Re: [pyrnet] New and want info on showing

In a message dated 2/26/01 9:51:10 AM Eastern Standard Time,
d.b.brown@mindspring.com writes:

This is the other half of the equation on which I'm unclear.  I can certainly
understand wanting your dog to win & the competitive aspects, however what I
can't seem to get clear on is why an "incompetent & clueless" judge
continues
to be used.  As a member of a local all breed club or regional Pyr club a
member has (or should have) input as to who is selected for judging
assignments.  Why then select anyone who you (generic "you" here) feel would
give less than an educated opinion? If I brought my girl out & she was
placed
by one of these judges then I'd think that somewhat of a hollow victory,
which
I guess really speaks to my first post. Is this a sport or is the purpose of
showing to make sure the breed continues to adhere to the standard?

I had hoped someone else would take this on.  I think it is an important
comment and seems logical, so I will wade in.  This is such a complex subject
I hardly know where to begin.  First, most exhibitors and new breeders know
little about the breed really.  When about 80 or 90% of the folks go out of
the breed within the first 5 years, I think that equates to a very high
percentage of folks having little real knowledge of the breed.  They can read
(some do not even do this) and repeat, but that is not quite the same as
experience and study over a long period.  Also the descriptions are words
open to the mind pictures these words conjure up in each mind.  What I call a
tight mouth, might be quite different from what you consider same.  Then you
have humans themselves.  Ambition, greed, insecurity, and the list goes on
forever influencing the making the decisions.  Even good judges have off
days.  So it is very complicated, but the big reason is there are a lot of
shows.  Each show needs a judge.  Also many judges make a living judging.
They need assignments.  Some folks (many folks?) only want to win.  So guess
what happens.  Would it surprise you that some judges trade wins and other
favors for future judging assignments?  Anything you can imagine happens and
probably much more.  There is also that segment that the dogs are an
extension of their ego.  The term "kennel blindness" applies also i.e. never
seeing a fault in your dogs.

I am not sure all clubs really let its breed members have much of a say and
if they did about 80 to 90% probably would have little to offer as they do
not know themselves.  You even get it in the breed clubs.  I have seen a past
President of the National Pyr club never attend a meeting of his local Pyr
club or attend any dog shows or other events during the time that he/she was
President of the National Club.  Now out of the breed, they lost interest
even while being President of the National club.

Maybe others could take a stab at this.

Joe