Re: [pyrnet] New and want info on showing

    Haven't been real sure how to address this but here goes.
    I, myself, know that a Pyr is not greatly concerned with speed unless something serious (in their mind) has gotten their attention.  For instance, Moses is a wonderful obedience dog but is a little slow sometimes on recall and heel.  Instructors are always telling me, "he's a big dog, he can go faster....try 'this', try 'that'."  However, he is very quick when necessary at home.
    I also know that a Pyr would need speed in chasing/fighting a predator but what I was referring to in this comment, and I realize I should've made myself more clear, is:  In the ring they are not looking to see how fast a dog can run, not even Greyhounds that I know of.  What they are looking for is ease and efficiency.  Perhaps they should look at speed as well but I'm not sure how we would properly judge this at a typical conformation show.
    It also states in the standard:  The Great Pyrenees moves smoothly and elegantly, true and straight ahead, exhibiting both power and agility. The stride is well balanced with good reach and strong drive. The legs tend to move toward the center line as speed increases. Ease and efficiency of movement are more important than speed.
    I'm sorry for not clarifying myself.
    It's interesting about the oval shape (of, I presume, "long bones") but as I am relatively new to the breed in comparison to some, I've not seen this mentioned before and didn't know about it.  The only oval I knew of was the shape of the rib cage.  Please let me know where I can find more information on the subject.

    I've thought for some time that Akbash and Pyrs resembled each other but of course most of the LGDs, some more so than others, resemble each other as they developed over time from the same basic design and needs.  My interest was particularly sparked with Akbash after rescuing a "Pyr" from the highway and then realizing she resembled the Akbash.  Did some studying on the breed but was still not quite sure if she was just a Pyr without the expression or a possible mix....we just went ahead and called her a Pyr pointing out her structure could be due to her "breeding" or mix thereof.
    I have seen a few Akbash with nice expressions, etc. but would not consider them to be what I would want in a Pyr.  What I have seen and read of them, there are specific differences from Pyrs.  I know of many Pyrs/lines at the moment that tend to be quite heavy and broad as well as those which are extremely long legged and thin.  These are both extremes which are looked down on (at least for the head) in the standard and I myself prefer a "classic" somewhere in the middle such as Estat.
    As for them being in the Pyr's background, I don't know.  I do know, however, that even though I admire and think that all the LGD breeds are beautiful....the Pyr is the most lovely to me for it's natural beauty of personality, physical type and outstanding abilities.

> Monsieur Senac-Lagrange told us it was a type pace, but different in "beat" <
> from the typical pace seen in some breeds and horses. <

    Thank you, I couldn't remember exactly what was said about the gait.

Chrissy
mapleway@iolinc.net

>> Speed isn't much of a concern as long as they can cover ground easily. <<

> That is not quite accurate.  The Pyr should be able to sprint for very high
speeds for several hundred yards, at least.  The reason is obvious, to chase
off or intercept the predators before they do damage.  That is the reason
they should have "Moderate" bone and not the huge St. or Newf. bone the
judges and some breeders like so much.  In addition the really correct bone
should be oval shaped.  Physics tells us the oval shape is stronger and will
let the dog generate more leg speed.  A very close relative, possibly, to the
Pyr is the Akbash dog of Turkey.  Look them up, they look remarkably like a
Pyr or what a Pyr should look like.  It is felt that a sighthound similar to
a Saluki played a very small role in their phenotypical development and it is
even theorized by some very competent folks that the Akbash could be int he
line leading to the Pyr making it to the Pyrenees Mountains. <
>> They can sometimes have an odd gait but in Pyrs it can play a particular
role in that they must be able to patrol all day and night if necessary. <<

> Monsieur Senac-Lagrange told us it was a type pace, but different in "beat"
from the typical pace seen in some breeds and horses.

Joe
<