Re: [pyrnet] oval bone....was Re: New and want info on showing

I hear talk all the time about needing more bone. I've been told by some that my dogs are too light in bone, but their bone is moderate, and oval shaped which is correct. The size of the bone is balanced to the size of their body. Yes, we have to be careful not to lose bone, but we must also be careful not to have too much bone. I too wish the judges knew a correct Pyr. Some do, many do not. When I sit ringside, I think to myself, "Is that a 2 sheep dog or a 20 sheep dog." In other words, how many sheep would the predator maim or kill before the dog could get there to do his job. And grooming does play a big part when sitting ringside. I've seen dogs in the ring that were way "overboned" IMO, only to get my hands on them later to feel that the bone was actually correct, but the grooming made it look way too big and round. The only thing that can really be judged with any true accuracy from ringside (without getting your own hands on the dog) are good and correct movement and heads, IMO.

Barb Bowes
Bo & Chelsea (Pyrs), Flopsy (Pyr Shep) & Machin (Doxie)
bamb@monmouth.com