[pyrnet] Sore pads

After a bath today, I noticed that Strad (5 year old pyr), was walking very gingerly and occasionally holding up one of his rear feet. On closer examination, he has really tender pads - probably softened up by the bath - in fact parts of his pads look really worn and pink. He has a large crack on one pad. I was lucky enough to get a quick appointment at the vet, who was quite perplexed to see his feet so sore. He  cleaned the cracked pad with hydrogen peroxide and then applied superglue to the fissure. This is obviously only a temporary fix.

    Strad spends most of his day on grass - or until recently, snow and ice! He is fed in a concrete run and might be in there for an hour. He is very active when outside, loving to chase the coyotes, gophers, hawks or anything else that might "invade" his territory. I am going to put some rubber horse mats down in a run for him and keep him contained there for now - but aside from that, does anyone have any ideas to help his sore feet heal? Typical male (BG!) - he is lying here beside me in my office, looking totally pathetic.......

  Geraldine

Geraldine Swierzy
SheepRiver Great Pyrenees
Alberta, Canada.