Re: [pyrnet] Re: Bonbelle

In a message dated 4/20/01 11:38:00 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
KHaskins@neteos.com writes:

For those of us who are newer to the breed and know much less about pyrs,
would you mind explaining what the difference might be between a "very
French" pyr such as Bonbelle and what we might view as a more "typical" pyr
here in the US?

Thanks,
Kelly

Kelly, go to the pictures I just posted URL's too and look at them.  You see
it immediately from what you have mostly seen.  The contemporary French bred
dogs have more elegance and mostly more leg under them than most of our pyrs
here in North America.  To our credit here though, we put a sounder dog and a
dog that can compete in the groups better.  The pendulum always swings too
far on any direction and then needs to return.  That is what happened here
and in France the elegance in some hands was taken to extremes.  The good
breeders there have it right generally and finally we are beginning to look
and learn some.  Also the picture cannot really capture the essence of it
all.  It is sort of like some of the other great personal pleasures in life,
you need to be present to get the full impact.  In pictures the elegance
seems to come across as less dog.  When you are there and especially when you
touch and get that close you see the difference between large and big (as in
rotund).  Many have misinterpreted the two and the results have been large
round dogs with shorter legs.  We do have some excellent Pyr heads in North
America.  Always have, but not in much abundance.  Unfortunately some top
winning kennels did not exhibit this good type historically and it has
influenced many of the judges to look for the rounder less elegant Pyr and
thing it is correct.  That is what Lene expressed and what Geraldine did as
well.

Joe