Re: [pyrnet] A long story...

> > I would be interested to hear from the long time pyr breeders, what they
> > would do in a  situation like Angus?.......
> >

> A dog of unknown origins basically a stray that suddenly attacks without
any
> provocation a young person without any warning?  If this is the story, I
> would euthanize the dog.

I agree with Joe on this issue.  I am the last person on the planet to
advocate euthanising any healthy animal, but a Pyr such as Angus that
attacks a person without any provocation is not "healthy".  Possibly there
was something that is physically wrong with the dog, maybe he had a bad
experience with a child, or even with a car, this will never be known.  But
this type of behaviour is not normal with Pyrs.  We are not "long time Pyr
breeders", but we have been around our fair share of Pyrs.  Currently we
have two males who would fight each other to the death if they got together
-- but are both very gentle with and protective of children (we have a
family with 9 children next door).  While none of us like the idea of
euthanisia, it would only be a matter of time before Angus could really do
massive damage to a person, and land you in a costly lawsuit.  Neutering
does not necessarily get rid of these tendencies.  There are too many well
adjusted Pyrs currently in rescue that deserve a good home like yours.
Please consider the consequences carefully.  You are not the first, and
will not be the last, to have to make this decision.  It is not easy to do,
but it is often for the best.

--- Robyn Allwright
--- ziffanyrobyn@earthlink.net
--- Ziffany Great Pyrenees &