Re: [pyrnet] Cruciate Ligament Disease

On 4 Sep 2001, at 5:47, JGentzel@aol.com wrote:
> That is very interesting.  Does the article deal with what changes bio
> mechanically or kinesalogically (sp?)?  Are these permanent conditions i.e.
> continue to dislocate or happen just for a few weeks or months during growth
> phases or both?  The anatomy there in the knee with the movement of the
> patella is more complicated than many realize.

Joe,
I pulled the abstract on the journal article.  I would have to ask my
vet for a copy or jaunt down to the UT library to look up the article
for all the knitty gritty conclusions.  The abstract does state that
the distribution is 82% congenital and 15% acquired patellar
luxations, and that surgical correction was performed primarily on
dogs with grade 3&4 patellar luxations.

There's another one that I found while doing this that I think is
interesting that I'll have to see if I can find the article:

Vet Radiol Ultrasound 2001 Mar;42(2):113-118
The correlation of canine patellar luxation and the anteversion angle
as measured using magnetic resonance images.
Kaiser S, Cornely D, Golder W, Garner MT, Wolf KJ, Waibl H,
Brunnberg L.
Department of Small Animals, Free University of Berlin, Germany.

Measurements from magnetic resonance (MR) images can be
used to examine the anteversion angle (AT-angle) and its influence
on the lateromedial or mediolateral luxating forces on the patella.
The AT-angle of the femoral neck was measured with the aid of MR
imaging in 45 pelvic limbs without patellar instability, in 33 limbs
with patellar luxation and in 6 limbs with rupture of the cranial
cruciate ligament. The limbs with medial patellar luxation were
divided into three groups based on clinical examination. The mean
(range) AT-angle was 7.6 degrees (0 degrees to 24 degrees) in the
"normal" group, 8.6 degrees (-10 degrees to 29 degrees) in the
group "grade II," and -0.4 degrees in the group "grade III" (-28
degrees to 12 degrees). A mean (range) AT-angle of 4.8 (-4
degrees to 11 degrees) was measured in the pelvic limbs with
rupture of the cranial cruciate ligament. Compared to literature that
described AT-angles based on radiographs of normal limbs,
reduced AT-angles were found in this study due to different lines of
measurement of the femoral neck. This study documents that the
AT-angle of the femoral neck does not influence patellar instability.
This study also demonstrates that MR images can be used to
make exact measurements of the canine AT-angle that represent
the true anatomy of the femoral neck.

Janice, janices@austin.rr.com
Lana & Linsey (newfs), Sonny (pyr)
http://home.austin.rr.com/janices/