Re: [pyrnet] Gordon's quest

   Caryl, you ask a timely and reasonable question.

   No, you don't have to dig ginseng at night.  It is a wild plant,
grows in the woods and sells for $120 and up per pound. Used,
especially by the Chinese in herbal medicine and is considered an
aphrodisiac and vitality builder.
   It grows wild in Kentucky.  The cultivated kind sells for less
money.
   As for using a Pyr to sniff out the golden stuff, it is an idea.
The only difficulty is that my Mary has so much work to do already,
guard duty, repairing broken hearts in the young and reckless,making
my bank deposits, testing recipes, and giving aid and comfort to the
old, young and
accursedly inept among her dog friends.
   But it is a thought.  She could do it. Perhaps when the ginseng
season opens in a month or so, I can introduce her to the basics and
see what happens.  A good way for her to earn some  Christmas doggie
bucks. (Can't dig it out of season, something to do with environmental
whackos or  the femi-Nazis, or maybe it was the Boy Scouts.)  Big
fine, if caught, but there is no law against marking the spots where
it is growing, making for a fast hunt when the season opens.
In my native Appie language, it is called "sang,"  And many a family
in Appalachia wore shoes in winter because they had dug 'sang.'  Now
with a season on it, I guess it is a sport as well, and CNN or some
such, will probably start Monday Night Sang, and make a million.  Will
try to get Mary a spot on the preview program.
   Thanks for writing.
    Hermit in the Woods, singing Oh! Them Golden  (Sang
Bought)Slippers.

   Thanks for writing.

   Hermit in the Woods, mulling over the joke about the cause of Mad
Cow disease. Still laughing.