Re: [pyrnet] Gordon's quest

  Sue, there truly is a sang season, enacted after someone surmised
there were too many sang diggers and a decreasing
amount of sang.  I doubt that.  At digging time, the plant has red
berries on it, making it easier to spot.  Proper etiquette
for a sang digger requires that he take a few of these berries and
plant them elsewhere, leaving some to reseed the spot where they grew.
You might be surprised at the number who do just that.
   The five year old  roots are about right for harvest, but once
dried, they do not weigh much, so a pound is more than might first
appear to be.
   You are probably right about ginseng being an ingredient in the K.
drink you mentioned. In the old days, maybe still, hunters and long
distance hikers carried a small root or two to chew on and keep their
energy level up.  I do not know from personal experience if it is
truly an aphrodisiac, but if it is, must have been a lot of rutting in
the woods, to which I shall make no objection, Your Honor.
   I grew up on a tobacco plantation in Tennessee,so do not know
exactly to what extent earlier Kentucky mountaineers depended upon the
plant.  But unless you were a coal miner, things were not that good
there. They could not have afforded a registered Pyr, which is a
shame, because it would have enriched all their lives.  Things are
much better for the last one or two generations, since they learned
that electing Republicans got them more than electing Democrats, who
spent no money in the mountains for roads or schools.  The exception
of course is one member of Congress who got more pork barrel than
Robert Bird.
   I keep hoping someone will start a ginseng festival.  We have an
Apple Festival (bake an apple pie 50 feet wide) and a
Poke Salat Festival,etc.  Why not a Ginseng Festival?   With free
ginseng samples.  Now that would be a way to fill every motel within
100 miles.

Hermit in the Woods, singing Dig That Sang, Watch That Swell.