Re: [pyrnet] Goat milk

In a message dated 9/6/01 8:09:41 PM Eastern Daylight Time, bamb@monmouth.com
writes:

Judith, thanks for the tip! Next time I make cheesecake, I'll
give it a try! (if I can find goat's milk in Suburbia on the NJ
Shore!)

Please do not buy that canned stuff from the stores.  Find yourself a good
goat dairy or someone who you know who has good healthy goats.  A goat in
less than top health i.e. with worms will not produce the best milk either
and it will go "goaty" much quicker.  Goats get the bad rap when we do not
care for them and then we want to complain about the milk they give us back.
BTW, Goats are not good lawn mowers.  They are browsers not grazers.  They
will only eat grass when they do not have enough of the good food they
desire.

Alain Pecoult president of the French Pyr Club judged Pyrs in Annapolis
Maryland a few weeks ago.  I took a gallon of fresh milk from Rosie, made
Chevre cheese and took for the tailgate party after the judging.  Couldn't
find fresher cheese as it had been milk in Rosie just four days earlier.
People were very eager over it and that was from some who said "Ohhh-Goats
Milk Cheese?"  Half of it was plain Chevre and the other I chopped up some
Japalenos for a little kick.  The key is to start with good fresh milk from a
very healthy Goat, so back to my point.  Find milk from a dairy that you know
is fresh and the Goats are free of coccidia and worms and they are healthy or
you will continue to think its the milk when it was all along the people or
the handling of the milk.

Joe