[pyrnet] housetraining

ok, i have what might be a stupid question. my pup is almost 8 months old now
and he has never been wonderful like my other pyrs were with housebreaking.
he is the only dog i have ever gotten as a little pup that i didnt stay home
and housebreak coz i work now. i used a pen in the kitchen for a couple of
months til he could be left crated while i worked  but i came home at
lunchtime to let him out and was home for the day by 3:45.  anyway, he has
the hang of going to the back door if he wants to go out but he doesnt seem
to 'hold it' if he needs to go. if i dont see him he will (excuse the french)
poop on the floor. i have been VERY careful watching him and its been sooooo
much better lately. however, if he is in the car and its time, he goes in the
car. if he's crated and he has to go, he does it in the crate (even once with
his food dish in there half full). i try to watch all the time but sometimes
if he hasnt gone after being outside several times i NEED to crate him while
i go get dressed or whatever. today i took him to work coz i forgot something
and he almost did it in my classroom after work. he had the 'funny look' so i
raced him outside and past the parking lot and he did it as soon as we hit
the trees.
  anyone ideas why he hasnt learned to really HOLD IT? he is 99.9% clean in
the crate when i work and am gone from 7:45-3:45 each day.