RE: [pyrnet] Thanks for Advice on Barking!

Hi, Sorry for not clarifying, I was NOT suggesting leaving her alone with
the muzzle on. Especially outside. A dog could get into trouble and get
caught on something.
I was advising it as a training tool only. I was suggesting to bring her in
and muzzle after she would not stop when told. Leave it on long enough for
her to get the point, remove it and praise her. If she started again, bring
out the muzzle. A training session.

I have to explain my position, Zeus was on an anti aggression program from a
behaviourist. Barking as he did, at people or other animals was not an
option, and he had to be taught to make the right choices.
I realize this dog is not aggressive, but if as with Zeus, no other methods
help them to get the point, then there is no harm if used properly.
As far as the length of time it is on, it was decreased quite quickly, as it
did not take long till he got the idea. In about a month, he would stop
barking on command.

The whole idea is not to stop a dog from doing his natural behaviour, like
barking. The point is to get the animal to respect you and your wishes. And
earn that respect. When you ask it to stop, it stops. Manners training.
The idea Tea had about socializing her with the dog next door is an
excellent one, and I whole heartedly agree. But I still think the main issue
is that she is not respecting you, when you tell her to be quite, and that
needs to be addressed.

Sariena

===
I have always been told never to leave a dog with a muzzle alone! And never
to leave a muzzle on a dog for longer then 20 minutes at a time.

I know how hard it is to have a dog bark all night long -- our Maude barked
for about a month.

Remember that the guy in the cabin has Athena's arch enemy in his house.
You might arrange for a few controlled meetings so that they can discover
each other.

Tea