RE: [pyrnet] Training?

> So, my question is this...  Is it OK to use a pinch collar on my pyrs?
> I know they are big dogs and I probably spoil them a little but they are
> just babies!  Even though Levi weighs 125 and Ali weighs 140 (we are
> working on the diet thing for her, she just doesn't appreciate it!)...

Shannon, you will probably receive a lot of comments on using pinch
collars, and I thought I'd jump in and give my experience.  A number of
years ago, we worked with two of our Pyrs (both males) using pinch collars.
Both of these dogs are between 120 - 130 pounds and like yours, if they
decided to take off after another dog (Baron HATED huskies) I hadn't a
snowball's chance in you know where of restraining him.  Also, it was no
fun to go out on walks knowing at any minute you might have your arm
physically removed from its socket.  Also, how many times have you seen
people walking a dog when they have to keep pulling on the lead to correct
the dog -- not a pleasant site.  So, while we were doing beginning
obedience training, our trainer suggested using a pinch collar.  She showed
up the proper way to fit the collar and more importantly the proper way to
use the collar.  With a pinch collar, the collar only tightens so much,
unlike a regular choke collar that literally will "choke" a dog.  With the
Pyrs, the fur around their neck is so thick that the prongs, which can be
capped with rubber tips, don't even make a mark.  Tanuki didn't respond
well to the pinch collar at all, and after a time or two we returned to a
normal choke collar for him and haven't had a problem since.  With Baron,
the one we take out with us the most, we used a pinch collar on him for a
short while, but now we only use a choke.  Seems he learned to respect the
collar, and this "attitude change" really made a difference.

The key to using a pinch is proper training.  You don't need to jerk on it
or use any force.  The pull of the dog will do the correcting, and the dog
(generally) quickly learns if it stops pulling the pinching stops.

Good luck with the training -- personally, I'm glad we went the pinch
collar route -- certainly made our guys much better canine citizens.

--- Robyn Allwright
--- ziffanyrobyn@earthlink.net
--- Ziffany Great Pyrenees & Tibetan