[pyrnet] Intro

Hello everyone,

I saw this forum and thought I would check it out.
I have a white male Great Pyr (born 5/1990) out of a breeder in
Texas. His name is Sirius, 'cause to us he *is* the dog star. He has
got to be the nicest tempered dog ever, he gets along with other dogs
and hasn't got a mean bone in his body. He used to let my kids climb
all over him when they were little. When we were living in Texas, he
used to drool horribly like some kind of St. Bernard. Once we moved
to Virginia, it was a thing of the past. He gets along great with all
6 cats and our birds too. I don't think there is any more beautiful
sight than Siri in the snow, rolling in it, eating it. What a goof!

I have only seen a few messages so far, but I sure know what people
mean when they say that their Pyr, if on the loose, just won't come
if there is an opportunity to see the country! The one exception is
if Siri sees us carrying his pink leash. He will come right over and
let us hook him up since he loves to go on walks (which we can't do
much in this area where we live--no shoulder to the road and too much
traffic). One time Siri got loose and a kind lady caught him
wandering up US 50 on his way west out of the county! I was really
lucky he wasn't killed in the DC /VNA traffic.

We have not had a barking problem. He has a wonderful deep "Woof" and
the "Woo-woo-woo-woof" accompanied by a charge toward heavy trucks or
motorcycles (he's on a line outside since our enclosures didn't keep
him in). However, I haven't had any problems with constant barking
(or digging). I didn't know that barking was a problem with the breed
and wonder if there might be lines that are less likely to be
constant barkers (?)

Anyway, he is starting to get along in age now as evidenced by his
hearing which seems less acute. It is much harder for him to get up
and down than it used to be although for years he has had problems
with sitting (shakes on the way down). That was a real problem for
him in obedience class. I find he can be very stubborn. If he wants
to continue something, he is immovable--like a rock! He is also a
leaner--like to get his ears and body scritchies--and will plant
himself in front of you until he gets some attention. The other thing
I notice is that he has always been less likely to give me much eye
contact (he does-but it's quick) than my other dog who is a terrier
mix. I know he hears me talking as he will perk his ears, give a very
fast eye contact and look away as I am talking to him.

I was wondering whether GP's have a sensitive digestion as he seems
easily prone to diarrhea if his food is changed or sometimes for
unknown reasons. I don't really know if this greater frequency is
also a sign of aging. He's my first dog and I have not dealt with
aging changes before. It's a real problem when he can't seem to
control his bowel movements or urination- a dog that size in a small
house can make the atmosphere unpleasantly "fragrant" rather quickly.
Anyway, I'm looking forward to reading about other people's
experiences.

Glad to meet you,

Sue and Sirius in Northern Virginia