Re: [pyrnet] Pyr on ice

Hi Everyone,

Mary here from Canada.  We have a big pond where the Pyrs Belle and Bear
love to play chase with the frogs in the summer.  As winter arrives and the
pond freezes I start to worry about them falling through the
ice.  Mysteriously each year they stay off it for a while then suddenly the
pond is covered with paw prints.  I think they have a way of knowing when
the ice is strong enough to support them.  Likewise in the spring they
suddenly stop walking on it again as the thaw sets in.  Also they seem to
know to avoid the area of the pond where the stream comes in and the ice is
thinner. I hope this isn't famous last words.....!

And a note about the Pyrs in the cold while I'm at it.  Our Pyrs are free
outside all year and as long as they can run around and have somewhere to
go out of the wind if they want, they seem to do very well in the snow and
cold.  This year has been light on snow and not too cold so far, only -17c
a couple of times, but last year was a very hard winter.  We had a very
heavy fall of snow one night which completely covered all the deck
including Belle's armchair (her favourite spot to sit and survey her
territory) so I supposed she had gone to the hay shed.  However, as I
opened the front door to call her, the mountain of snow on the chair
erupted and she materialised looking quite warm and happy needing nothing
but a quick shake to make herself respectable.

Bear is still spending much time in the house on his crate rest (for OCD -
he's doing really well and not limping anymore) and it certainly seems to
be harder for him to deal with the warm inside temps that are needed by the
non double layer fur coat members of the family  - the pig, the cats and us
two legged types.

Mary.