Re: [pyrnet] Male aggression anad neutering

mary, i had a situation where i took an unneutered male at 3 yrs and had him
neutered (a rescue dog).  i brought him into my home with my 2 adult, fixed,
greyhounds.  all was well until 3 months later when he moved up in the pack
and found his place. unfortunately he thought he had to eliminate my male
grey (a 30" at the withers dog, even though he is slim greyhound-framed).
unforunately i had to let an otherwise wonderful dog go to a new family for
the sake of my grey.  several months later when i got a male pup (i got a
male coz my female grey is VERY VERY alpha and i was afraid of conflict with
a female pyr) i did a lot of research into neutering and aggression.  an
unneutered male IS more aggressive and as to when to have it done, the univ
of penn says that there is no corrolation between stunted growth and early
neutering. in fact, they stated that the front leg bone growth is a fraction
of an inch more in early-neutered males.  i had my pup neutered at 4 months
and so far at 10½ months there has been no aggression toward any other dogs,
even my male.  i would do it again in a heartbeat.  even if he did lose a bit
of adult height (and i dont think so, but who knows) it would be worth it to
keep my pack safe. a dog fight is a very scary and awful thing and i hope to
never see one again. i am totally satisfied with my decision.