Re: [pyrnet] Help! Scary neurological incident

I would for sure call the vet today...it sounds like something neurological for sure.   My golden retriever had a stroke and still holds her head at an odd angle because of it and right after it happened tended to list to the right as she walked.   She is on aspirin now to keep her blood thin and recovered except for the slight cock of the head.  Antivert helped her too immediately following the incident.  Good luck and keep us posted.    PAM

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, February 09, 2002 2:35 AM
Subject: [pyrnet] Help! Scary neurological incident

Hi everyone.

My Pyr Kelly had a terrifying incident tonight. She was sleeping soundly in the kitchen and then, like a shot, was awake and running into the living room where I was. I didn't see her wake up, but I could tell just from the sounds that something wasn't right -- something about how quickly she got up and the way she was moving. When she rounded the corner, she came to me but she didn't have proper control over her legs or her head. She didn't fall, but nothing was moving the way it should. She couldn't walk in a straight line and her head was down and at an odd angle. She seemed terrified. I may be projecting, because I know I was terrified, but I think she was very scared. I took all of this in very quickly as she darted over to me. I was able to calm her and get her to lie down, and she seemed okay within just a few seconds. The whole thing probably happened within 15 seconds. She seemed a little unnerved for a few minutes afterward, but within 5 minutes she was playing! and jumping like normal and tearing into the cheese I used to test her appetite.

I have no idea what happened. Could she have had a seizure or a stroke? The weird thing is she never cried out at all. She was silent the entire time, which would seem to indicate an absence of pain.

Is it possible she had a nightmare and ran into the living room still half asleep, accounting for her lack of motor skills? (I know, this is really wishful thinking.)

Should I take her to the vet for an MRI?

I would be very grateful if anyone has any thoughts on what might have happened. My heart is still racing, and here I am in the middle of the night watching her like a hawk as she sleeps.

Thank you!

Kendra and Pyr Kelly
So. Cal.