From: "Barb Bowes" <bamb@monmouth.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2002 08:07:45 -0500
To: <pyrnet-l@pyrnet.org>
Subject: Re: [pyrnet] Help! Scary neurological incident

Dogs don't have strokes. But they can get vestibulitis. Bo has exhibited symptoms similar to this in the past. Both times, it was a middle or inner ear infection and after a course of antibiotics, all was well. Episodes were 7 years apart, the most recent, last month. Bo also tends to be hypoglycemic, so that was suspected as well, but his blood sugar is now normal, and has remained so for the last month or so. Have your Vet check her blood sugar level as well. With Bo, whom we've been testing blood sugar on for the last 8 months or so, we suspect that he may have Insulomas that are causing the problem. But, at 11 years of age, I do not trust any Vet but my own to sedate him, and do the ultrasound of the pancreas to look for them. And my Vet, admittedly, is not experienced enough in this area to be able to do a competent job of looking for, and reading that ultrasound. So, we won't be doing the test. Talk to your Vet and see what they have to say about this, but do not discount a middle or inner ear infection.

Barb Bowes
Bo & Chelsea (Pyrs), Flopsy (Pyr Shep) & Machin (Doxie)
bamb@monmouth.com